Sunday, April 5, 2020

Weight-Loss Success Story: Losing 20 Pounds

Katherine Berman, 49, was in denial about needing to lose 20 pounds until she saw some photos of herself. The extra weight made her look “older and frumpy.” Having always been photogenic, “suddenly my neck looked huge and my face was getting rounder,” she recalls. When a friend suggested they lose weight together, Berman, who works as a claims examiner in San Diego, thought it was a great idea.
Adele Told Fan Her Massive Weight Loss Was 'Around 100 Pounds'
They both joined Jenny Craig, and Berman and her friend soon became two of the center’s weight-loss success stories. Because of her success, Berman says she now believes people when they tell her, “You don’t look your age.”
EH: When did you first realize it was time to lose 20 pounds?
Berman: I kept blaming my weight on middle age. I was buying blousy shirts, so I wasn’t feeling very fit and attractive. When I saw some photos of myself, I realized how heavy I was getting. My family also started to mention their concern about my weight.
EH: What inspired you to start your weight-loss journey?
Berman: I have a friend who also wanted to lose weight and she suggested that we do it together. Even though I knew I needed to lose weight, I was almost offended that someone thought I could benefit from joining a weight-loss center. That was admitting it out loud: ‘Yes, I am overweight and I can’t handle this by myself.’ My friend and I joined Jenny Craig. We both wanted to lose 20 pounds and we both are weight-loss success stories.
EH: What diet tips and guidelines did you follow?
Berman: I followed the Jenny Craig program. I was surprised at how much easier it is than I thought. I was concerned that I would be hungry because I like to eat a lot. This diet makes sure you are eating throughout the day by having healthy, low-calorie, tasty meals and snacks, so I have fuel in my system and that keeps me from bingeing.
EH: What was your exercise schedule?
Berman: I always walked 30 to 60 minutes a day and I still do that. I added in walking up four flights of stairs to my office three times a day — on my breaks and at lunch.
EH: How did you stay motivated?
Berman: I was really surprised that people began to notice when I had lost 7 pounds. I got so much feedback — people telling me that I looked good. I think they noticed because my face stopped being so round and I lost a bit of that bloated look. I was really motivated to stay on the program because I loved it when suddenly my pants were too big and I had to buy a smaller size — and this happened a few times! I have gone down three sizes, from a 12 to a 6.
EH: What is your biggest food weakness?
Berman: My big weakness is salty, crunchy snacks, so I have Jenny Craig cheese curls or try to make a vegetable platter with a pickle or two added in.
I recently went to New Orleans, which is, of course, known for fantastic food. I was able to select healthier items, such as fish, instead of deep-fried choices, so I wasn’t missing out on sampling exciting new dishes, but I did miss out the high calories that would have come with those deep-fried choices.
EH: How long did it take until you started seeing results?
Berman: I saw the results quickly. I was really surprised by that. I would think, how can anyone tell that I lost 5 to 7 pounds? It isn’t that much. But they really could because so many different people would convey that sentiment. Losing that amount of weight made a large, positive difference in my appearance, especially the neck and belly. Time-wise I don’t remember exactly — maybe two months.
EH: What diet tips do you have for others so they too can become weight-loss success stories?
Berman: Here are of my best diet tips:
  • Before going out to a restaurant, look at their menu online. I usually decide ahead of time what I will order. This gives me time to research the nutritional content and not be influenced by others. Sometimes you will be surprised — you thought a certain dish was low-cal and it really isn’t.
  • Skip the potluck or bring something that you want to eat. I usually bring a shrimp platter.
  • Avoid buffets because they really test your self-control. If you have no choice, visit the buffet one time only so you can visualize how much you are eating. When you go back two to three times, you may not realize how much you are consuming.
  • Pick activities like walking or biking when getting together with friends.
  • Split meals with friends at restaurants. It saves money and calories.
  • Eat vegetables with every lunch and every dinner.
  • Make sure your veggies are cut, cleaned, and ready to eat so you don’t grab something else when hunger strikes.
  • Get rid of high-calorie foods to avoid temptation. If you can’t find it in the pantry, you can’t snack on it.
  • If you don’t want to tell everyone you are on a diet, have at least one buddy you share it with so you have a good support team. When I was trying to lose weight my mom and dad would make sure we picked a restaurant where I could order fish so I could still go out, but not blow all the hard work I was doing.
  • Buy some cute workout clothes so you like wearing them and working out in them.
  • Have a goal in mind to check progress. Keep trying on those pants that used to be too tight and notice if you are getting closer to fitting into them.
  • Reward yourself with non-food items, such as a manicure or pedicure, new shoes, and makeup.

No comments:

Post a Comment